Monday, December 1, 2008

looking for some spirit

Remember that old high school cheer "We've got spirit, yes we do! We've got spirit how 'bout you?"

This cheer worked best during basketball season because the bleachers are closer together and the fans on either side could easily participate in egging each other on. It would inevitably degenerate into "We've got more, check the score!" But we know that kind of logic is false. Else, why have the Cubs so long been denied the World Series? Winning a sports event has nothing to do with fan spirit. Bad luck, maybe. But that's a topic for another post.

We got back into town yesterday late afternoon after roading it through the desert. I am not a fan of the Nevada landscape. They have one nice plateau. Arizona is nicer. The red rock of Southern Utah is really quite lovely. The long stretch between Southern Utah and Middle Utah is rather bleh. (But not as bleh as NV. Just sayin'. It's not that all of Nevada is completely ugly. It has it's own charm. The palm trees help with that. And they have nice parks.)

Anyway, we survived the drive, and survived four very tired kids with colds who were alternately completely unhappy at the thought of leaving grandma's house and completely unhappy at not immediately being home Right Now! I left the house spotless. Seriously. I mopped all the floors in our house (Ben helped) before taking off for Thanksgiving. It was utter paradise to return home to a clean house. Although now I'm exhibiting signs of paranoia. I'm worried that now that the cleanliness is not going to last and that's disappointing to me.

In any case, I'm looking for my holiday spirit. This is not unusual for me when Thanksgiving is bam! right before December. I like a week to ease into things; that's just how I am. But here it is December, I'm just returned from palm trees and yikes! where's my holiday spirit? I'm sure it's lurking in boxes and a CD case full of music dedicated to the yuletide spirit. But right now what I really need is a long, hot bath, some Sudafed, and a nap. I'm thinking I can get two of the three, (no rest for the weary) and that makes me feel a little cheerful right there. We've got spirit? Maybe after I make it to the grocery store to buy some holiday spices.

3 comments:

  1. I'm lacking in christmas spirit, too. and I feel really bad because my kids are still little and really buy into all the christmas magic so I want to make it a perfect holiday for them....but I just don't have it in me yet. ug! the hacking cough I've had for the past week isn't helping matters one bit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh to come home to a clean house. that really is the best, isn't it? next time you're weary on the road, stop in at our house. we'd love to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. December did come way too fast this year.

    But I wish the colds we all keep getting would just stay away!

    ReplyDelete