Thursday, March 17, 2011

stream of consciousness

Things slowed down in the subsequent years, months, weeks. Not that the children didn't do funny things anymore, of course they did. But there were a few more of them now, and just keeping up on the housework and the homework and the rest of the list of things to do, it took more time. And having the time and mental energy to share it out to the world slipped away a little bit. It was all in the living now. Just in the now. And though there were still the friends, stalwart in their posting (some making money, too!) many of them had also stopped the regular flow of life updates, except maybe for the occasional tweet. Life was happening. Kids were growing up. Some people needed to keep writing constantly and others, not so constantly. And she was a not so. Also, she was thinking of taking up painting. But in between the loads of laundry, the dance practices, and the weekly university basketball games, in between the meal times, the family gatherings, the negotiations, there was just enough time to be. And that time to be was crucial. And worth gathering. Even if it meant that somethings, and some dreams, slipped out of her hands. If only for awhile. It was what it was. And it was okay.


5 comments:

  1. I feel like I could have written this, Allysha. I soooo get this. Just know that when one of your posts comes up on my reader, I always read it and I'm always glad.
    A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like Virginia Woolf resurrected

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written, and completely understood!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still struggling with the part where the dreams slipping through my fingers is okay....some days I want to hang onto them. But knowing I'm not the only one giving up on some dreams, for now, is enough to give me courage to go ahead and let it "be okay"

    ReplyDelete