Friday, October 12, 2007

I'm a wimp

It's time to start the sleep training. It's been time for a little while, but I'm having a hard time getting up for it. I know that after a few nights of letting my little girl cry it out, she'll be fine, and I'll get more sleep. But.

I think I'm going soft in my old(er) age.

Still. She's just 4.5 months. And sometimes she'll sleep through the night on her own.

Sometimes.

Also, she's really talented at hysterical crying. Fantastic at it, actually. Which, you know, hinders my desire to attempt the whole rigamarolle. (That's probably spelled wrong. Feel free to correct.) I think she knows this. She knows I'm weak.

But I just read through my know-it-all pediatrics book and I've been induldging my baby in all the things I shouldn't. Picking her up. Feeding her even if maybe she's not hungry. Letting her come to bed with me. I mean, of course she'd rather snuggle up with mom for a little while than sleep in her own bed. But it's all about forming habits now.

I'm just having a hard time giving up the sleep required in order to get her to sleep more. I know, I know. In the long run... for now I guess I just have enough stamina for the short run.

So. At least I'm thinking about it. That's a start.

4 comments:

  1. You're not a wimp. You're a mom. It's a hard thing no matter when it's attempted. Go with your inner voice! And have faith in that inner voice. You aren't going to ruin her life by waiting a few more days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have decided sleep deprivation is a form of torture.

    I echo Dedee. Go with your instincts. Only the mom knows best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck. I was awakened by my daughter last night (thunder storm.. so I was up myself actually) but, oh is a good nights sleep a luxery.. Sleep is the new sex.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane just turned 17 months, and every few days I do think how nice it would be to sleep through the night.
    But then again; she's does sleep until midnight, and she's so sweet to cuddle and kiss, and she LOVES nursing, and she's my last baby and I'll have YEARS of sleeping through the night after her ... so maybe next week.

    ReplyDelete