Tuesday, January 8, 2008

I'm a fickle lover

Dear Winter,

Things just aren't working out between us and I think it's time to call it quits. Maybe you feel that I have not given our relationship enough time, and while technically this whole winter wonderland thing only started around December 21st, you've been here long enough. I'm just not feeling it.

Well actually, it may be that I'm feeling it too much. The truth is, Winter, you are cold. Especially lately. Your temperatures don't peak past freezing and that just doesn't work for someone like me. I need some warmth. At least every once in awhile. I don't think I'm being too demanding.

Call me fickle, and maybe I did use you a little. I like to have you around during the holidays (provided you bring some snow). And things were really nice for Christmas and I thank you for that. It's just that it's a new year now, and I can see that I don't need you anymore.

I'm sorry if I've hurt you. But I'd be lying if I said it's me not you. It is you. You've gone and frozen my pipes and my heating bills are going through the roof. This relationship is just getting too expensive to maintain.

Hey, you've never been really stationary anyway, especially in more moderate climates. (You can get a little extreme at the poles, but I leave that to you and your conscience). You aren't completely dependable when you show up and leave. You're a wanderer who lives to travel the globe--in those places that welcome you in, anyway--so keep your chin up.

Look me up next year when you get back in town. Maybe we can hang out a little bit. Plan a shorter visit and we'll get along just fine.

Farewell, my winter. Enjoy your trip to the southern hemisphere!
Allysha

7 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to say that ever since that breif taste of warmth on Friday! Sigh.

    Zara PQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am holding your untimely break up respnsible for the five inch pouting we are now suffering from...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ditto the previous comment!

    Oh, the pain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we're all on the same wavelength here. I complained mightily to my VT's who came this morning, telling them that the first few winters we lived here were what I had grown to believe Utah winters to be -- mild and sunny. Not!

    (Fortunately, I get a reprieve when I visit my sister in Florida the first week of February. I'll be thinking of you...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, enjoy Florida, Pam! Also,sorry for the incovenience my break up may have caused you- ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this is so funny! Can I sign my name to your letter too? Maybe we can send around a petition and do a group protest letter. I have had it with this cold spell!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome Allysha! Winter hasn't managed to hamper your creativity.\

    MOM

    ReplyDelete