Wednesday, July 16, 2008

wedding day report ~ sister's version


Kimberly is the middle child. Even more than most middle children are middle children; Kim has five siblings ahead of her, and five behind.

As she and her new husband danced to their song at their reception last night, I cried. I looked at the faces of my family as we circled around her, especially the face of my father, crinkled in love and joy and a little bit of sadness; it's a wonderful thing to see someone happily and newly married. But, it's never the same afterwards and that's just how it is. That's not a bad thing. In fact it's a good and necessary thing. It's a thing.

My very favorite moment came at the end of the evening when a song long ago made famous at my house came on. And, as planned, all of the sisters came together in a big circle and started dancing practiced moves learned from watching the music video over and over and over again. We laughed. We danced. Our brothers joined in, then the cousins, then friends. My brother started a train and we all followed. All the girls had long since abandoned their black heels.

It was a good moment. It was that moment that said no matter what happens, no matter where we go, no matter how near or far we may be in geographical distance, that we will always be close, we will always be friends, and we will always love to get together and dance.

Right before we sent them on their way I gave them each a hug. I told him to take care of her. He said he would. And I believe him. I love you Kimberly and Kevin.


1 comment:

  1. sounds fabulous. p.s. I love Kings of Convenience, too :)

    ReplyDelete