Friday, November 3, 2006

mourn with me for a moment, will you?

If the time must change, then it must. I guess. I used to be a big fan of the October switch, giving me an hour longer to sleep in, but no more. My kids are grumpy from staying up later and getting up at the same time, which is now officially "earlier". So I've "moved" their bedtime back by a 1/2 hour. It's a compromise until the sun starts getting up a little later in the morning, because he is the reason, along with their already programed bodies that they are now getting up cheerfully at 6 a.m. and not 7. So really they are going to bed about the same time as before. I just have more time in the evenings to myself. And less time in the morning to sleep in.

BUT. The real tradegy is this: I've lost an hour of sunlight. Which didn't bother me in Utah because I was on the end of a time zone. But here in New York I'm at the brand spankin' beginning and so the sun is setting way. too. early. Sunset today is at 4:49 p.m. Yes. 4:49, people!!!! It gets worse, of course, and it drives me crazy. Look, I realize that there are people who live in portions of the world where it gets dark and stays that way for about 6 months. Believe me, they have my deepest sympathies. Also those who live on the most easterly part of Maine, because they loose a lot of light as well. More than we do. But I'm just saying. It's a good thing Christmas comes at the darkest part of the year because I don't think I would survive without the extra lighting.

4 comments:

  1. i hate how dark it is as well, i live in cali and the sun sets around 5:15 (so not that much later) i always feel so notproductive when its dark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meanwhile, back in Utah, I guess we should consider ourselves lucky. We're all managing to make the adjustment except for the baby who I just had totally trained to wake up at 7:30 now is waking up at 6:30. She just doesn't get it.

    I loved your line about the Christmas lights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Around the solstice in December the sun doesn't rise until 10 or so and then sets about 3:30. If you're at work or school you pretty much miss it altogether and it never gets very bright, a lot of clouds. It doesn't bother me too much but then I'm used to it and just compensate with all the sun I'm getting in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, that is crazy and the reason why I will never live in Alaska. Even though it does look very pretty. Didn't you grow up there? That would make a difference!

    ReplyDelete